Choosing the Right Cosmetic Dentist
In choosing the right cosmetic dentist you must do your homework.
Step 1: Identifying the fact that you want or need cosmetic dentistry change.
Step 2: Identifying the cosmetic dentist to do it and then asking the right questions.
Most dentists who have taken special training in cosmetic dentistry techniques will be happy to tell you about their dentistry experience and show you pictures of their cases. Less than 1% of dentists have a cosmetic dentistry credential and Dr. Eshom is credentialed by the AACD. Like medicine, credentials are important in deciding who is going to change your smile.
A smile consultation is a good place to start for cosmetic dentistry. Skill levels of cosmetic dentists can and do vary. Make sure you pick someone who does cosmetic dentistry all the time and has done it for several years.
Questions to ask when considering cosmetic dentistry
- Am I a candidate for cosmetic dentistry?
- Can you show me examples of your cosmetic work?
- Are my cosmetic dentistry goals realistic?
- Can you show me a computer simulation or mock up of the anticipated dental change(s)?
- Do you use temporary crowns or veneers to allow a preview of the dental changes?
- How do you test shapes, sizes and colors of teeth before they’re made permanent?
- What are the risks, benefits and alternatives for your cosmetic dentistry recommendations?
- Can you discuss the short term and long- term implications for my dental health?
- What are the costs and time involved for the proposed cosmetic dentistry?
- How do you work with dental technicians to produce the best cosmetic results?